“What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it — would you be likely to give them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must truly appreciate what you already have.”
— Ralph Marston
It seems that we are constantly chasing something – a new fitness goal, weight loss, money, stability, deadlines, chores – the list is endless. We seem to focus on what is missing in our lives rather than what we already have. Practising gratitude can be difficult, but it is something that we can improve daily. Practising gratitude reminds us of what we have been blessed with in our lives, but more importantly, opens us up to the possibility to receive what the world has to offer. It really is simple, gratitude brings abundance.
Here are a few ways we can start practising gratitude:
– make a list of things you are grateful for (mine include family, friends, ability to travel, sunshine, love)
– be thankful when you first wake up, be thankful for a new day, sunshine, rain. Be thankful that you have the ability to get out of bed.
– say thank you to friends and family, thank them for their love, support, or just being themselves.
– say thank you for the small things – a good meal, a great workout, a call from a loved one.
– give yourself thanks – thank yourself for accomplishing something, not matter how trivial it may seem.
Happy practising! Namaste!
I love soup. In fact I make soup more often than I make any other dish. I have just returned from vacation (nothing quite like escaping the winter for three weeks), and needless to say the cold is really getting to me. Today I decided to make some soup to warm my tummy and give me an energy boost. It is easy to make and inexpensive. You can use pretty much any ingredients you want, and it is bound to be tasty.
Here is the recipe that I used. It was delicious and hearty.
2 yellow onions, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 3 cloves fresh garlic, 4 ripe tomatoes, 1/2 cup red lentils, 4 long sticks of celery, 2 cups spinach 1/2 cup courgette, 700ml water, a dash of nutmeg, oregano and basil.
1. Chop all the ingredients depending on how chunky you like your soup.
Pre-soak the lentils (about 1 hour)
2. In a large pot, saute the garlic and onions for 2 minutes. Then add the courgette. After about 2 more minutes add the peppers, celery, spinach and tomatoes.
3. Drain the lentils and add. Add the water and all spices.
4. Boil all the ingredients together for about 10 mins. Then reduce and simmer for 5 mins.
Today is the day to have a great day. The world is waiting. The universe is changing. Experience the experience you are having. Live the life you “are living. Comprehend all of the sensations that are taking place. Today is the day to become who you want to become.”
Blueberries are superstars in terms of their unique health benefits. They are high in antioxidants and low in calories (80 calories in one cup). They help to maintain blood sugar levels, and have great cancer fighting properties. Their beautiful purple colour make them a delightful addition to any smoothie. You can use blueberries fresh or frozen, recent studies showed that blueberries do not lose antioxidant properties when frozen.
I was feeling like something creamy and sweet but still healthy, so I made this smoothie:
1 medium banana
1 cup blueberries
100 ml coconut milk
50 ml soy milk
100 ml water
Add all the ingredients in the blender and blend for half a minute.
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~Jimmy Hendrix
I love chocolate, it is one of the few non-vegan things I indulge in. But with this recipe, I can get my vegan chocolate fix. Cocoa powder is my new best friend! This was my first experiment with Chococado, and I really enjoyed it. Was it like regular chocolate mousse – no, was it awesome anyway – yes!
This vegan recipe is perfect if you’re looking for something sweet and rich, that’s not going to make you feel guilty for indulging.
The avo gives the dessert a really full,rich and creamy taste. Avos are nutrient dense. They have a wide range of anti-inflammatory properties, they support cardiovascular health and they have healthy fats which help to maintain healthy skin and hair.
This recipe is really easy and literally took 7 mins to make.
2 medium-sized avos (Ripe)
1/4 cup raw unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons maple syrup (or any other sweetener such as brown sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1. Remove the skin and pit the avos.
2. Put all ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Pulse until ingredients are mixed well. If the ingredients are not mixing add more coconut milk or some water.
3. Scrape the sides and pulse a few more times.
SERVE AND ENJOY
We all have bad days, sometimes even a bad week. The good thing is that we control our own moods! So if you’re feeling down, or having a blue Monday, here are a few ways to add some sunshine to your smile!
1. Find something to laugh about – It can be your favorite comedian, a TV show, a funny picture, or even a call to a friend who always makes you laugh.
2. Sing and Dance – Put on a tune that’s lively, perhaps even a little crazy. Sing and dance. (Come on, everyone has that secret, embarrassing song hidden on their player that you secretly love, but won’t ever tell anyone!) Whip it out and be a little crazy!
3. Do something kind for someone, for no reason. – You’ll feel good about yourself, and you would have brightened someone elses day.
4. Do something kind for yourself, for no reason – Be good to yourself, treat yourself to something small. A chocolate, a massage, a great meal, whatever works for you.
5. Sweat it out – Working out releases endorphins! You are bound to feel much better after your choice of exercise.
6. Meditate – Take some time to meditate on things that make you happy. Even the smallest things can bring you joy, wether it be the smell of fresh grass or talking to someone you love.
7. Appreciate nature – go outdoors and enjoy the beauty of nature. You’ll realize that you are smaller than nature, and so are your problems. Plus the fresh air will re-energize you.
8. De-clutter your environment – if you’re at work, tidy your desk. If you’re at home, make the bed, wash the dishes. De-cluttering your environment will de-clutter your mind and enable you to think more clearly.
9. Think about things you are thankful for, the people in your life, your career, anything that you are grateful for.
10. Turn off the electronics for a while! Spending too much time online, surfing, chatting, or just ummmmmm, doing nothing leads us to be inactive. Get out, take a walk, do something other than just sitting there!
11. Sit quietly for a few minutes in a sunny or warm spot and remember why YOU’RE SO AWESOME!
HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!