It seems as though everyone is searching for happiness. We search, we find, we lose, we fail, we strive for it like it is some long-lost treasure, buried under years of stress and conditioning. But what is happiness really? Happiness is a range of positive emotions and a mental state of well-being. But more importantly happiness can be whatever you want it to be. Happiness is not some long-lost treasure, and if we treat it as such, we will never be happy. Here are some things that I have learnt about happiness:
1. … being in the moment. Enjoying your life, who you are, what you are doing right now.
2. …loving yourself.
3. …when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
4. …loving the people around you, for the good and the bad.
5. … is an experience, not a demonstration.
6. …finding the beauty in your everyday life.
7. …transcendent and ever-changing. It is universal and ever-present.
8. … appreciating sadness. Without sadness we would never know happiness. Feel it, appreciate it, then let it go to make room for happiness.
9. …being genuine and kind to those around you.
10. …your choice.
People look for a quick fix, that fad diet, the next best thing, but the truth is that good health is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle choice. Your decisions and actions define you. If you choose a fad diet, you will experience short-term unfulfilling results. However, if you make healthy choices in your life, you will be just that – healthy.
Here are some ways that you can start changing your mindset and start improving your health today!
1. EXERCISE – No, I’m not talking about hitting the gym for an hour everyday, I mean small things such as taking the stairs, walking instead of driving. Stretch for 15 minutes. Anything, start getting more active.
2. Reduce your portion size – In general, we eat too much. This is one of the main reasons we are facing a worldwide obesity problem. Eat smaller portions throughout the day.
3. Drink water – Drinking water is key to good health. Replace fizzy drinks, high calorie juice and milk with water.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables – Fruits and veg are a great source of nutrition. Replace things such as meat, rice and bread with fruit and veg and feel the difference.
5. Breathe right – Breathe in slowly through your nose, and slowly out through your nose. Breathing right is key to supplying the body with enough oxygen. Many studies have shown that correct breathing can actually help the body repair damage in our bodies.
6. LAUGH – Seriously, laugh, be happy, it releases endorphins and makes you feel good. It relieves stress and contributes to your health overall!
7. Don’t live to eat – EAT TO LIVE – The choices that you make in terms of food are vital to your health. Constantly choosing chips, chocolates, oily and fatty food means that you are living to eat. Replace these with whole foods, natural, organic and raw! You will not believe the difference felt after replacing bad foods with raw and wholesome foods.
8. CUT THE BAD HABITS, smoking, drinking alcohol in excess, sugar, junk food and so on. It’s not good for your mind or body.
9. Practice being MINDFULL – Just think about what you’re doing in the moment. By being mindful of our actions and words, we can become aware of our bodies and our true feelings. You will be able to tell when you’re really hungry, and know when you’re hungry because you’re bored, or emotional. Meditation can help find insight into your thoughts and actions.
10. LOVE, BE KIND AND COMPASSIONATE – Letting go of negative feelings, anger, hate, frustration and insecurity will help make room for more positive emotions. Love, kindness and compassion. When we experience positive emotion, we rid ourselves of emotional eating and stress related diseases.
So laugh, have fun, be kind and look after yourself. Peace out!
GET MOVING! Get that blood circulation going, hit the gym, go for a run! The more you move the more you lose! More importantly, it is good for your mind and body!