Blueberries are superstars in terms of their unique health benefits. They are high in antioxidants and low in calories (80 calories in one cup). They help to maintain blood sugar levels, and have great cancer fighting properties. Their beautiful purple colour make them a delightful addition to any smoothie. You can use blueberries fresh or frozen, recent studies showed that blueberries do not lose antioxidant properties when frozen.
I was feeling like something creamy and sweet but still healthy, so I made this smoothie:
1 medium banana
1 cup blueberries
100 ml coconut milk
50 ml soy milk
100 ml water
Add all the ingredients in the blender and blend for half a minute.
People look for a quick fix, that fad diet, the next best thing, but the truth is that good health is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle choice. Your decisions and actions define you. If you choose a fad diet, you will experience short-term unfulfilling results. However, if you make healthy choices in your life, you will be just that – healthy.
Here are some ways that you can start changing your mindset and start improving your health today!
1. EXERCISE – No, I’m not talking about hitting the gym for an hour everyday, I mean small things such as taking the stairs, walking instead of driving. Stretch for 15 minutes. Anything, start getting more active.
2. Reduce your portion size – In general, we eat too much. This is one of the main reasons we are facing a worldwide obesity problem. Eat smaller portions throughout the day.
3. Drink water – Drinking water is key to good health. Replace fizzy drinks, high calorie juice and milk with water.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables – Fruits and veg are a great source of nutrition. Replace things such as meat, rice and bread with fruit and veg and feel the difference.
5. Breathe right – Breathe in slowly through your nose, and slowly out through your nose. Breathing right is key to supplying the body with enough oxygen. Many studies have shown that correct breathing can actually help the body repair damage in our bodies.
6. LAUGH – Seriously, laugh, be happy, it releases endorphins and makes you feel good. It relieves stress and contributes to your health overall!
7. Don’t live to eat – EAT TO LIVE – The choices that you make in terms of food are vital to your health. Constantly choosing chips, chocolates, oily and fatty food means that you are living to eat. Replace these with whole foods, natural, organic and raw! You will not believe the difference felt after replacing bad foods with raw and wholesome foods.
8. CUT THE BAD HABITS, smoking, drinking alcohol in excess, sugar, junk food and so on. It’s not good for your mind or body.
9. Practice being MINDFULL – Just think about what you’re doing in the moment. By being mindful of our actions and words, we can become aware of our bodies and our true feelings. You will be able to tell when you’re really hungry, and know when you’re hungry because you’re bored, or emotional. Meditation can help find insight into your thoughts and actions.
10. LOVE, BE KIND AND COMPASSIONATE – Letting go of negative feelings, anger, hate, frustration and insecurity will help make room for more positive emotions. Love, kindness and compassion. When we experience positive emotion, we rid ourselves of emotional eating and stress related diseases.
So laugh, have fun, be kind and look after yourself. Peace out!